Gearrannan Blackhouse Village lies 3 miles to the north of the hotel at the western side of Carloway. It is a restored village, complete with re constructions of the inside of a Blackhouse. Blackhouses were so named not because of the fact that they were in the early days smoke filled and had small windows, but because they were compared to new houses being built in the late 1800’s which were called ‘white houses’. The new ‘ white houses’ were designed to separate humans from their livestock and animals. The village has a museum and cafe.